2004
Today I walked from Puerta Le Reina to Estella. It was a cooler day and made for easier walking, despite my ankle flaring up at times during the day. The walk took us, as it has most days, through beautiful little villages with what to me is extraordinary architecture. The church here in Estella, or should I saw, one of the 3 churches here in a town of 14,000 was first built in the 12th century, and then continued to be added to until the 18th century. You can see the change in architectural style move from the heavy Romaneque to the lighter and airier Gothic with its vaulted ceilings and stained glass. It would be a fine cathedral in many places, but is just the local church in a small town. I should mention last night's Mass in Puerta La Reina. Most towns seem to have an evening Mass at 7pm. Whether that is deliberately for the pilgrims or just works out conveniently I don't know. I could feel the young Indian priest praying every word of the Mass, not just saying it...



Dave: Hey Jim, Slam that pickle juice down to cure those muscle cramps from all that reading.
ReplyDelete